Thursday, October 14, 2010

Report to sis: napkin sewing project

So, my dear l'il sis has challenged me to put my sewing machine to good use and commit to a project! So here is a simple project to kick-start, out of the Lotta Jansdotter sewing book I love but have never used!

I bought the cloth from Japan Town a couple of years ago, but never used the remainder after making a simple covering for our shoe rack. So this meets sis's criteria of not buying new things, and using what I already have.

The one thing I had to buy is an iron. We only realize our iron is missing when sis was here and in need of one! I bought a cheap one from Amazon that arrives tomorrow.

In the mean time, as preparation, I finally took the time to organize my mixed-up bag of sewing supplies and buttons neatly. Amazing how many buttons I have collected over the years!

2 comments:

blueberrydream said...

Good job!!:) Sorry that you have to get a new iron!! So, what will you be sewing from the Lotta Jansdotter sewing book? Remember, the thread tention will be best for 13-15 stitches/3cm for light-medium weight fabrics. But, if you like to have wider stitches as a decorations for the top stitches,you can do that do. (But still reccommand 13-15 stitches for inside seam sewing --> attaching 2 piece of cloth together) Just try your tension on a small piece of cloth to check, if the sewing stitch on the upper side is tighter than you loosen it a bit, or tighten it a bit if the stitich is loose showing loops!!

IzzyInBliss said...

It's good to have an iron—so you'll want to visit us again ;-) I will remember your advice on tension!