Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Whisky on my mind...

I have fallen in love with whisky. A particular one, to be precise.


The Glenrothes 1985 Single Speyside Malt

We first met at the Nihon Whisky Lounge in San Francisco. We have had dinner upstairs in their restaurant area with some friends. I was ready to venture beyond the Glenmorangie whiskies, and asked the bartender, Amanda, for her recommendation. I don't even remember what it was I had, because it didn't matter.

I had a sip of the creamy golden nectar that Amanda had poured for my friend, and was so enchanted that I ordered one for myself. And then another. That was the beginning of my love affair with the Glenrothes 1985.

Good news is that the vintage is not yet sold out, and there are 7 bottles still at K&L San Francisco. Bad news is that, even at a discount, it's U.S.$100 for a bottle. Not the kind of money that a novice whisky drinker and struggling filmmaker should spend.

So, to satisfy my burning desire, I've watched the videos and read the history of making Glenrothes whisky on their website. I've searched the web for tasting notes and reviews. And, I went to K&L, to admire and appreciate the beautiful bottle of 1985 that they have locked behind their "rare whiskies" glass case.


I think of this as a long courtship. I learn everything I can about my whisky during the long wait, which will make the consummation so much more delightful when the time comes.

1 comment:

blueberrydream said...

Wow, whiskey!! I seldom drink much alcohol, and definitely know nothing about whiskey or brandy. But this bottle's design looks really unique. I like the label in the front. It is like the union tickets on clothes!!

I wonder if I will start to drink whiskey one day?!