Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nadekifuda



This is an event done every year at the district where I live. The district chairman will go knocking at everyone's door to ask if you will like to have a 'Nadekifuda'. This little piece of wood called 'Nadeki' (short form) cost around 200yen, where you will write down your age and name on it, and then wipe around your body with it. The district chairman will then come back to collect them and have them burnt in the shrines. So as to bless you for safe driving. Some shrines have them for good health to take away your illness or to fulfill your wishes.

I love this word called 'Tsunagu' (繋ぐ), which means to pass it on. It's always so nice to know that some traditional customs are still going on so as to bring the history to the next generation. I know its a shame that I might not be that fascinated in chinese culture (not that I don't like it), but I love japanese culture very much. And sometimes it is very sad to see so many traditional techniques extinguish away. How I hope this high quality techniques from the pass will pass on to the next generation - Tsunagu
(I will try to introduce some techniques later!)

1 comment:

IzzyInBliss said...

Interesting! Do you and Kenichi each do one?