Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Interesting Knowledge

I don't used to be too much of a tv fan. (I was only fascinated with animations and americadramas!!) But japan's tv shows are so different. They are very entertaining and interesting. Most of them are quiz shows and variety shows among actor & actress. And actually you can learn a lot of general knowledge from it too. Like the following one that I will like to share, I didn't know about it even I work in the fashion business!!
I think a lot of you have seen a men's jacket, and I think you also realized the buttons on the side of the sleeves. Some have a real bent opening, but some are just decorations. But does it ever come to you that why are there buttons there? I never questioned that before, that's what I have learned - Teacher: 'Draw a bent opening at the side of the back sleeve.' Me: 'Yes noted, 2-3cm from the center sleeve line...' Really, what was that for???
And recently, through this tv quiz show, I happened to learn who started adding buttons on the sleeves!! It was Napoleon!! As many knows, Napoleon owns a powerful army, the image of the his army was strong and gallant in uniform. But because of the cold weathers, a running rose during the wars is nothing uncommon. Humanly, while you are focusing in the war, the soldier just wipe off his running nose on the sleeves of his uniform. And you can imagine the dried out white stains on it (sorry)... Napoleon didn't like that, and this is how he got the idea of adding buttons there so that you will naturally stop rubbing you nose on it!!
Seems like image plays an important role for confidence. You don't need to wear luxury stuffs or famous brands to do so, but neat & tidiness can make you smart enough to gain you confidence!!

3 comments:

IzzyInBliss said...

Very interesting information. I didn't know this. It's amazing, how much Napoleon has invented!

IzzyInBliss said...

So were the original sleeve buttons "fake" ones that don't open the sleeve?

blueberrydream said...

Yes!! As the tv show's information, it was just a decoration from the very start! Wonder from when did someone intended to really have it open?? And what for??