Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More Do-It-Yourself Therapy

I've come to the conclusion that my current DIY obsession is a form of self therapy. The act of keeping the hands busy, keeping the mind focused on the project at hand—it's very meditative and calming. It keeps anguish and unnecessary fretting at bay. It soothes the heart from aching and wanting.

Composition in Glass
I love this curried chicken salad with spiced chickpeas and raita recipe from Epicurious for its pretty, dainty presentation. Composing the layers was like painting. It was gorgeous to see the turmeric-colored chickpeas lying on a bed of white raita. The sprinkle of almonds was a lovely finish. It was a lovely dish to have as we enjoy a bit of early spring weather here in San Francisco. This dish is great by itself, on crackers, or wrapped in a sturdy lettuce leaf.

Handmade Decorations for Chinese New Year
Like Christmas, there are plenty of tacky, commercial decorations that can be bought on the cheap for Chinese New Year. I have a couple myself that seem a little lovelier than the typical fare. But I thought I'd make some by hand to add to this year's decor. I found some helpful instructions from Folding Trees for making kusudama balls.

Farewell To My Old Baby
This Sunday, Wasabi crossed over to join his brother Mushu. We are grateful that we were able to say goodbye to him at home, with him laying on his favorite sofa, surrounded by his loved ones.

No comments: