Thursday, January 20, 2011

DIY Obsession


I've got a case of Do-It-Yourself fever. So far in the new year, I have made, here at home, with my own hands (albeit with the help of several home appliances):
– a jar of soymilk
– seven jars of yogurt
– thirty muffins
– sixty gyoza/wonton dumplings
– two batches of soup with homemade broth
– a loaf of bread
– a steam basket tower full of Hubei pearl meatballs
– finished sewing my Christmas felt dove ornaments
– (and right now, I'm in the middle of folding some kusudama flower bouquets for Chinese New Year!)

While it is food-heavy right now, this fixation with homemade started with fabric, before Christmas. I bought over a dozen fabric patterns, one after the other, from Purl Soho. I got these beautiful hand-stitched buttons from a super talented embroiderer in England. I also bought a handmade wreath, three handsomely-sewn decorative elf stockings, and several packs of holiday cards from Etsy, the online exchange for all kinds of amazing handmade goods.

So why do I get such a high from DIY? Let's see...
  • I feel more satisfied. It feels really gratifying to be feeding my loved ones and filling my home with wholesome goodness that I've made with my own hands.
  • I appreciate and care for things more. I find that I take better care of things; I'm not as rough or careless; I'm more thoughtful about throwing out stuff. And that feels good—it feels like a good Zen practice of living with more awareness!
  • I consume less and get higher quality. Not that I spend any less $$, but by choosing to pay more for quality handmade goods, I buy less stuff in exchange for better craftsmanship and materials. Less junk in the house, less mess, less carbon footprint on Earth!
I guess I can thank my dear sister partly for this influence, inspiring me to take out my sewing machine again, and not to be so wasteful!

No comments: